Shanghai Electric, as the EPC contractor, released the latest progress of the Dubai 950MW CSP+PV solar complex, the fourth phase of Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park in Beijing January 22, 2019.
As it’s reported before that the fourth phase of the solar park will use three technologies to produce 950MW of clean energy — 600MW from a parabolic basin complex, 100MW from a solar tower, and 250MW solar PV.
The project was awarded to ACWA consortium on September 16, 2017, and its opening ceremony was held in Dubai on March 19, 2018. Shanghai Electric signed EPC contract with DEWA, ACWA Power on April 13, 2018 in Shanghai, China. The construction has been started since December 21, 2018.
The expected construction duration will last 48 months, which means that the 700MW CSP project will be completed by the end of 2022, four years later. For the detailed schedule, the first parabolic trough CSP plant is planned to be operational on August 21, 2021, in 32 months, the solar tower CSP plant finished on November 21, 2021 in 35 months, and the second and third parabolic trough plants to be completed by the end of the year of 2022.
It’s reported that the fourth phase solar project has already achieved many world records:
• The largest single-site investment project in CSP based on IPP model---USD 4.4 billion
• The largest capacity of single CSP+PV project---950MW
• The largest area of single CSP+PV project---44 square kilometers
• The biggest quantity of molten salt usage in single CSP project---550,000 tons
• The tallest solar tower---260m
• The leading tower wireless heliostat technology---70,000 heliostats
• The largest trough in commercial CSP project---8.2m
• Lowest Levelised Cost of Electricity of USD 2.4 cents per kilowatt hour (kWh) for the 250MW photovoltaic solar panels technology and 7.3 cents per kWh (2.9 cents in daytime, and 9.2 cents in night time)
Participants in Dubai 700MW CSP Project:
• Owner & Off taker：Dubai Electricity & Water Authority, DEWA
• Developer：ACWA Power
• EPC Contractor：Shanghai Electric
• Tower Technology：BrightSource
• Parabolic trough technology and solar field construction：Abengoa
• OE：Worley Parsons--Advising
• Operator：NOMAC (An ACWA company)
• Parabolic trough engineering and consultancy: Inner Mongolia Electric Power Survey & Design Institute
• Power tower engineering and consultancy: Northwest Electric Power Design Institute
• Power block designer：East China Electric Power Design Institute
• Parabolic Trough：Abengoa
• Tower Receiver：CMI
• Steam turbine：Siemens